Effective date: February 18, 2020
Scope and Responsibility
Alex Borkholder serves as Democracy Corps’ data protection officer and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
How Your Information Will Be Used
The personal data that Democracy Corps maintains may include your name, email address, company or organization. This personal data will be stored by Democracy Corps for a period of ___ years.
Democracy Corps will use your personal data solely for the purpose of communicating with you periodically about surveys, studies and other information being released by Democracy Corps, and about other publications and projects that Democracy Corps believes may be of interest to you. and to ask you to connect on other social media platforms.
Democracy Corps will not use your personal data for any other purpose. Without your express prior written consent, Democracy Corps will not share your personal data with any other entity or organization, or with any person other than employees of and contractors to Democracy Corps with a need to view and use such personal data for the purposes set out above
Your Rights as a Data Subject
At any point while Democracy Corps is in possession of your personal data, you, the data subject, have the following rights:
- Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that she holds about you.
- Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that she holds about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to be forgotten – you can always ask for the data maintained about you to be erased from Democracy Corps’ records.
- Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply, you have a have a right to restrict the processing of your personal data//
- Right of portability – you have the right to have the data held about you transferred to another organisation.
- Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated processing, including profiling – you also have the right to prohibit your data from being subject to automated processing or profiling.
- Right to judicial review: You have the right to complain as outlined below.
Democracy Corps, at your request, will confirm what information we hold about you and how it is processed. If Democracy Corps does hold personal data about you, you can request the following information:
- Identity and the contact details of the person or organisation that has determined how and why to process your data.
- Contact details of the data protection officer, where applicable.
- The purpose of the processing as well as the legal basis for processing.
- If the processing is based on the legitimate interests of Democracy Corps or a third party, information about those interests.
- The categories of personal data collected, stored and processed.
- Recipient(s) or categories of recipients that the data is/will be disclosed to.
- If Democracy Corps intends to transfer your personal data to a third country or international organisation, information about how this is done securely. The EU has approved sending personal data to some countries because they meet a minimum standard of data protection. In other cases, there are specific measures in place to secure your information.
- How long the data will be stored.
- Details of your rights to correct, erase, restrict or object to such processing.
- Information about your right to withdraw consent at any time.
- How to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority.
- Whether the provision of personal data is a statutory or contractual requirement, or a requirement necessary to enter into a contract, as well as whether you are obliged to provide the personal data and the possible consequences of failing to provide such data.
- The source of personal data if it wasn’t collected directly from you.
- Any details and information of automated decision making, such as profiling, and any meaningful information about the logic involved, as well as the significance and expected consequences of such processing.
Democracy Corps accepts the following forms of ID when information on your personal data is requested: passport or driver’s license or other government-issued id.
In the event that you wish to make a complaint about how your personal data is being stored or used by Democracy Corps, or how your complaint has been handled, you have the right to lodge a complaint directly with the supervisory authority and Democracy Corps’ data protection representative whose contact information is provided above.
Democracy Corps complies with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act and the provisions of the GDPR relating to children. Democracy Corps does not solicit and does not accept personally identifying information from any person under 16 years of age.
Visitors to this Site who are under 16 years of age should not use this Site except under the supervision and with the assistance of their parent or legal guardian, and should never submit any personally identifying information to the Site. For example, visitors under 16 years of age should not register, purchase or use services or take any actions on or through this Site.
Protection of Personal Data
Democracy Corps uses industry standard security measures to protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of all of the personally identifiable information that you provide to us. The server is located in a locked, secure environment.
Permission to access your personal data is granted only to you and Democracy Corps’ employees or contractors who need to know that information to provide services to you and who are required to keep the information confidential. Although all of those make a good faith efforts to store information collected by this Site in a secure operating environment, complete security cannot be guaranteed.
Cookies and Data Tracking
A cookie is a piece of data stored on the user’s hard drive containing information about the user. Some parts of this Site may be password-protected. This Site may use a cookie (cookies reside on your computer and are under the control of your browser) to help Democracy Corps to compile aggregate data about visitors to the Site and their interaction with the Site for the purposes of improving the operation of the Site and/or offering better Site experiences and tools in the future.
Cookies may also be used to enable you to return to password-protected areas of the Site without having to re-enter your password. If you wish to disable these cookies, the help portion of the tool bar on most browsers can assist. If you set your browser to disable cookies, however, you may not be able to access certain parts of this Site.
In the future, this Site may also use third-party services such as Google Analytics. This helps to understand traffic patterns and know if there are problems with the Site. Embedded images may also be used in emails to track open rates for mailings, to help determine which e-mails appeal most to those who are interested in Democracy Corps’ work and activities.
Links to Other Sites
Terms of Service
Effective date: February 18, 2020
PLEASE READ THESE TERMS CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE SITE. BY ACCESSING, USING OR BROWSING THE SITE YOU AGREE TO BE LEGALLY BOUND BY THESE TERMS AND ALL TERMS, POLICIES AND GUIDELINES INCORPORATED BY REFERENCE IN THESE TERMS. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH THESE TERMS IN THEIR ENTIRETY, YOU MUST NOT USE THE SITE AND MUST CHOOSE TO EXIT THE WEBSITE.
We reserve the right to change or modify any of the terms and conditions contained in these Terms, or any policy or guideline of the Site, at any time and in its sole discretion. If we do so, we will not notify you.
The services/products we provide through the Site are for your own or company use only. You may not resell, lease or provide them in any other way to anyone else.
If you register for an account on the Site, you agree to (a) provide accurate, current and complete information as may be prompted by any registration forms on the Site (“Registration Data”); (b) maintain the security of your password; (c) maintain and promptly update the Registration Data, and any other information you provide to the Site, and to keep it accurate, current and complete; and (d) accept all risks of unauthorized access to the Registration Data and any other information you provide to the Site. You are responsible for all activity on your Site account.
At present we do not charge any fees or other charges for the use of the Site. In these Terms, the content on the Site, including all information, data, logos, marks, designs, graphics, pictures, sound files, other files, and their selection and arrangement, is called “Content”.
Other than the Site, all Content and all software available on the Site or used to create and operate the Site is the property of ours or its licensors and is protected by American and international copyright laws, and all rights to the Site, such Content and such software are expressly reserved. All trademarks, registered trademarks, product names and company names or logos mentioned in the Site are the property of their respective owners. Reference to any products, services, processes or other information (by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, supplier or otherwise) does not constitute or imply endorsement, sponsorship or recommendation thereof by us.
We grant you a limited, revocable, non-exclusive, non-sub-licensable license to access the Site and to view, copy and print the portions of the Content available to you on the Site.
Except as expressly permitted above, any use of any portion of the Content without the prior written permission of its owner is strictly prohibited and will terminate the license granted in this Agreement and your account with us.
You represent and warrant that your use of the Site and the Content will be consistent with these Terms and will not infringe or violate the rights of any other party or breach any contract or legal duty to any other parties, or violate any applicable law.
The Site may contain links to third-party Web sites (“Third-Party Sites”) and third-party content (“Third-Party Content”) as a service to those interested in this information. You use links to Third-Party Sites, and any Third-Party Content or service provided there at your own risk. We do not monitor or have any control over and makes no claim or representation regarding Third-Party Content or Third-Party Sites.
While we attempt to make your access to and use of the Site safe, we do not represent or warrant that the Site or any Content are free of viruses or other harmful components.
You shall defend, indemnify and hold harmless Company and the other Released Parties from any loss, damages, liabilities, costs, expenses, claims and proceedings arising out of your use of the Site and from the use of the Site by any person to whom you give access to your account, including any claims made by any person that any of your User Content infringes the rights, including the intellectual property rights, of any third party.
The Site is controlled by us and operated by it from its offices in Washington, DC. You and we both benefit from establishing a predictable legal environment in regard to the Site. Therefore, you and us explicitly agree that all disputes, claims or other matters arising from or relating to your use of the Site will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington and the federal laws of United States of America applicable therein. The United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods does not apply to these Terms.
If any provision of these Terms shall be deemed unlawful, void or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed severable from these Terms and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions. We may assign any or all of its rights hereunder to any party without your consent. You are not permitted to assign any of your rights or obligations hereunder without the prior written consent of ours, and any such attempted assignment will be void and unenforceable. These Terms constitute the entire agreement between you and us regarding your use of the Site and supersede all prior or contemporaneous communications whether electronic, oral or written between you and us regarding your use of the Site.